Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Prayer Mount Fellowship



In January, Josh & I helped start a new church, Prayer Mount Fellowship, with some close friends. But first I have to start from the very beginning to explain how we got here...


The first time we went to BRCC in September 2007, Josh & I went to the Connections booth and asked about getting into a Small Group. The pastor we talked to said there was a group meeting that night. I was a little hesitant, but Josh said, "Let's go!" So we showed up at Mike & Michelle's doorsteps and joined the group. It was only Mike & Michelle, Rick & Mari, and Josh & I. Mike is the Children's Pastor at BRCC and Rick was the Pastoral Care Pastor. It was the most amazing group I have ever been a part of! We were surrounded with so much wisdom and marital experience- it was all Josh & I could do to soak as much of it up as we could. We started the group with a marriage study. We loved going every week and ended up spending hours just talking with these Godly couples. They helped transform Josh & I's marriage. They walked with us through some very rough patches that I'm not sure we would have come out the other end without their help. We truly loved these people. It was true community. We shared everything about our lives, our struggles, our hopes.


We both grew so much in our faith over those months. Around February 2008, Rick lead another Bible study at church called Alpha. Josh & I went and continued to grow. About half-way through the class, Rick taught about Baptism.

Baptism is our public declaration that we believe God is who he says He is,
that He died for us despite our wicked ways,
and that we want the abundant life He promises us.
It's the most beautiful Love story ever written.

Back to the story... Josh was baptized as a baby, but decided that he wanted to be Baptized again now that he understood what it meant and it was now his decision. Once Josh decides something, he immediately wants to do it! So that night we went to the (ice cold) Baptism pool outside of BRCC and Rick baptized Josh & I again. It was a very special night for us and we knew God was there with us. Afterwards, Josh told me we were both new creations and that it was like we had a new marriage! And he was right...

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!"
2 Corinthians 5:17

All of that to say that we have been on this journey with Rick & Mari and Mike & Michelle for quite some time. We have walked with them and seen how they act in all aspects of their lives. They truly love Jesus and those around them. Last Fall, Rick felt God telling him to start a church. Rick asked Josh & I to join him because he wanted Josh to lead worship at the new church. Grey Holiday had recently "retired" and Josh was praying about what God wanted him to do next. He loved music and Jesus, so this seemed to be the perfect fit! At the time, I was working in Children's Ministry with Mike at BRCC. I absolutely loved my job and the people I worked with! It was an extremely tough decision to leave BRCC, but I knew God was calling me to follow my husband. ("Where you go I will go," Ruth 1:16) It wasn't easy and there were lots of tears as we had built so many friendships at BRCC. Though I will always love BRCC, I know God blessed me in my decision to be obedient and that Prayer Mount is where I am supposed to be.


Our first service as Prayer Mount Fellowship was on January 25, 2009. The name comes from Isaiah 56:7

"these I will bring to my holy mountain
and give them joy in my house of prayer.
Their burnt offerings and sacrifices
will be accepted on my altar;
for my house will be called
a house of prayer for all nations."


Josh has grown so much since leading worship that very first Sunday. I am so proud of him and absolutely love the way he leads us to the throne room of God. I am blown away by the new boldness and wisdom he has, sometimes I can't even believe it's my husband up there! God doesn't lie when He says we are a new creation! He worships in Spirit and in Truth and I know God is truly pleased with his son! He has even written his first worship song!


This last Sunday was our church's 6 month anniversary! After worship, Pastor Rick allowed people to come give a testimony of how we have grown. Almost everyone gave an account of how being a part of this church and community have changed our lives. People have been healed (Mark no longer wears glasses after 17 years!!), marriages have been saved, and we have all found friends to walk through this life with. We were all in tears by the end!


We truly love this group of people and love just hanging out with them. We have our struggles and kinks to work out as do all churches, but we're truly blessed to be part of this community.


Pastor Rick

Associate Pastor Rick (KiKi) Olivares & Wife Janna & Baby Addie

Worship Pastor Joshua
About a month ago, Pastor Rick named Josh our Worship Pastor instead of Worship Leader. Josh was extremely honored and humbled.

Matt Waite has helped Josh lead worship from day 1. They are quite the team and I'm so glad Matt volunteers his time and energy. It just wouldn't be the same without him.

Matt rocking out.

Johnnie, Morgan, Josh, Matt & Mellisa leading worship.

This is Mark & Michelle, our Alamo Cafe buddies! We love this couple so much! They run Children's Ministry and do such a great job with the kids! Mark calls everyone "Mija." I'm not really sure if that's how you spell it or exactly what it means, but I love hearing him saying it! Michelle helps lead worship and is such a great friend!

Jessica & Johnnie. We met them at an Alpha Retreat about a year ago and have been friends ever since! They are so much fun to be around and have become such close friends of Josh & I's. Johnnie plays drums for the Worship Team and Jessica also helps lead worship.

John & Jen! We love this couple too! They are so much fun and make us laugh so hard. We are hoping to start a dinner & movie club. They also have 3 adorable kids that Josh & I absolutely love to be around!

Jen & Jack Jack.
We LOVE Jack Jack! He is the sweetest and likes to come up to Josh and just stare. Sometimes he will let Josh hold him and he just lays his head on Josh's shoulder. It's the sweetest thing!

Here are two of PMF's cute kids, Kiera & Alexavier.

Addie & Jack Jack.

The manly MEN at PMF's BBQ.
I told them to act tough in this picture.

Well that's pretty much an introduction and recap of our last 6 months at Prayer Mount. There are several key people I didn't have pictures of like Amanda, Theresa, Amy, Mari, Justin, and the list goes on and on. We love all of these people and are blessed to have them in our lives!

No comments: